Facebook Users Have Lower GPAs?

Here is this news. A new study says students who use Facebook spend less time studying and have lower grade-point averages (GPAs) than non-Facebook students. Is it true? I never use Facebook. Usually I communicate with my friends mostly through SMS-ing. SMS is just fine for me. It’s easier. If I spend more time on Internet, my parents will definitely kill me for burning their pocket.

According to the news I read, the study is coauthored by Adam Duberstein of Ohio Dominican University. The study shows that Facebook users had GPAs between 3.0 and 3.5 while nonusers had 3.5 to 4.0. I think they mean Facebook users spent more time on Facebook that they affect their studies.

The study also said that the more hours a student worked at a paying job, the less likely he or she was to use Facebook. The study shows the more students were involved in extracurricular activities, the more likely they were to use Facebook. I don’t understand, but isn’t it the students will have less free time to spend online if they were involved in extracurricular activities? I guess it means students who involved more in extracurricular activities will have a lot of friends and that’s why they need to use Facebook.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------